What I do
I help researchers get funded and published by improving their writing. I work mostly with researchers in the health sciences, medicine, and population health. I'm a big believer in keeping writing clear, simple, and strategic—that's what I do with my clients. If you have a shitty first draft, I can handle the wordsmithing.
I serve scrappy, big-hearted, passionate people. People who are curious about the world and who want to make it better. People who have, like, seven different jobs because they're so good that people keep asking them to do more. People who don't buy into the stuffy, hierarchical part of academia—they just ignore it and get 'er done.
Ten things to know about me
1. I've been a Grade A bookworm since childhood. Check out this photo of me as a kid walking uphill with my nose in a book:
3. I read cookbooks like they're novels. I also read a lot of novels. Ask me what you should read next!
4. I'm a medical marvel: I have an ultra-rare illness that has led to five brain surgeries (so far) and I've been written up as a case report in a medical journal. (I'm fine, though. Thanks for asking.)
5. I'm the co-founder of a scrappy little non-profit called Basics for Health.
6. I ride my bicycle(s) every chance I get. Before I started my own business, my daily bike commute was more than 30 km! (Now my commute is 0 km)
7. I'm happiest in the woods. Camping, hiking, backcountry skiing—if it's self-propelled and among the trees, sign me up.
8. I'm an Air Force Brat. My dad was in the Canadian military and I spent most of my childhood moving across the country.
9. I was a huge theatre nerd in high school. Oh, and also in law school. Did I mention I'm a law school dropout? (Yep: I quit McGill Law in 2004)
10. I'm a free spirit trapped in the body of a Type-A overachiever.
BONUS FACT: I host a podcast! It has nothing to do with editing, and everything to do with making a meaningful life. It's called Maybe Someday. You should listen! You'll love it.
How can I help?
I've been really lucky to work with people who truly love what they do. I want to keep doing that. And I want to make it easier for you, so that you can do what you do best.
If writing is something that trips you up, slows you down, or frustrates the heck out of you, I can help. I can suggest where to focus your efforts when it comes to finishing a writing project. I can assess what you've written and help to make sure it has the best chance of getting published or funded. I can help you find ways to make the writing process easier.
I do all of these things with a lot of love and a bit of edge. If that's your style, we'll get on like a house on fire.